Tuesday, December 14, 2010

IS IT ALL ABOUT BRAGGING RIGHTS?

Once Upon A Time
There was a lovely little girl who wanted more than anything to keep her father's love and the easiest way she thought she could get it was by pretending to love football. She pretended all right but then she started to love the game. Sixteen years later, she can't stop loving the game and hence the reason for this blog post.
Hi,
My Name Is Paradox
And I Love Football.
Granted I may be female but trust me I have the right amount of testosterone for this. I really wanna make sense, I really do but the fact remains that to an average person, being a football fan doesn't even make any sense.
For record purposes, I want to state clearly that I am  a Manchester United fan, sometimes I support Barcelona, I like to watch Arsenal play(even though the trophy cabinet is gathering more dust than trophies) and as far as Chelsea is concerned, I still think of 'em as intruders but not to worry they got nothing on me.
I support a very successful team and I'm sure for some people that is the sole reason why I love the team. I won't lie, I love the success, I mean who wouldn't? but it goes way beyond that. Sometimes I ask myself why i am so into that team and this question bothered me so much that my final year project was dedicated to finding out what motivates football fans and I must say I ended up with more questions than answers but i got really valuable information.
Moving on, why are we fans so concerned about winning?Why are bragging rights so important to us?What exactly do we gain by watching football?Why do we usually get pumped up, excited and anxious when watching our favorite teams?I know I have dropped a lot of questions but do not panic, for possible answers, watch this space for Part Two of this post.
Until then,Comments are welcome.
Yours Truly,
Paradox.

1 comment:

  1. Intriguing questions, In my opinion I think a lotta people take their affiliations with foreign clubs too far. It will be interesting to gain some insight into their motivations for such fanaticism, 'cos that's what it is.

    ReplyDelete